Search This Blog

21 September 2014

“Healthy Bitch and Sexy Sextenarians” (or Cheap Super Foods that We Must Have on a Daily Basis)

Image by "Fir0002/Flagstaffotos” at 
flagstaffotos.com.auThis file image 
published under the following 
Creative Commons license: 
Attribution NonCommercial Unported 
3.0. For more details about picture 
and license, click this link
I am not a doctor or even a nutritionist but I have been taking care of my 68-year old mother, who has been in and out of the hospital in the last four years. Thankfully, this year, her overall health has relatively improved. Still present are her usual pain in the joints, bothersome tinnitus, and acid reflux that occasionally raise her blood pressure and cause her to have difficulty sleeping. Nevertheless, all of these are manageable, except when her immune system is down, and then everything becomes magnified. Thankfully, mom has nerves of steel and so she endures although at times, my mother and I argue a la Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep in “August: Osage County.” I did one time told her, “Eat your fish!”  Of course, minus the “bitch” part because I own the “bitch” patent in the family. Yes, I am the resident bitch. But I digress.

After three years of being in charge of my mother’s diet, I accumulated enough information about the so-called “super foods.” These are foods that contain important nutrients that energize, boost the immune system, prevent diseases, promote youthfulness and most important detoxify our body. Most of the elderly people that I come across suffer from ailments because of their lifestyle in the past. Even my friends and I are beginning to manifest early signs of bad health. We eat much processed food, white flour, white sugar, drink, smoke and we do not regularly exercise. It is possible that once we hit our fifties, all those toxins that have accumulated in our bodies will do their magic trick, perhaps beginning with slight joint pains and sluggishness. If we do not change, our health will go on a downhill trajectory.


"Eat your fish!" (Scene from "August: Osage County")
Rationale for the Use of Non-free Media, click this

Since 2012, I have drastically modified my overall diet. I also started exercising regularly again. I try to maintain an ideal weight for my height.  When I go running or swimming, I often see very healthy and active senior citizens. They laugh as they run with friends, relatives or lovers, and they appear to be annoyingly energetic and youthful. (Pardon my sardonic humor; it just will not go way.) Anyway, these elderly individuals look as if they were preparing for graduation and ready to fulfill their second batch of dreams.

Smoking can kill you unless you
drive a car, then it is really a question
of what will kill you first.
(Scene from ITV's Downton
Abbey, but the line is not taken from 

the show) 
Rationale for the Use of
Non-free Media, click this
As I finish my run, swim, or work out at the gym, I sometimes reward myself with a smoke. I figured with all those intense work out and organic food that I take, I need to reward myself by committing a sin, a single cig to be exact. Yes, it is silly reasoning. I still have not quit smoking entirely, but I am down from one pack two years ago to three sticks a day this year. Quitting cold turkey only worked for me for six months, but I fell off the wagon Robert Downey Jr. style.  For anybody who might say quitting is easy, they have not really smoked, or they are lying, or they are super humans and I am glad that I do not know them. But I digress again.

Anyways, as I puff my cigarette and look at those healthy youthful sextenarians, I ask myself, “Will I be them or will the bitch in me win?”

For the mean time, here are some of the “super foods” that one must have on a daily basis to maintain a healthy body and mind. What an awkward segue!

You do not have to eat all of these foods in one day, but incorporating some of them in your daily diet will do wonders. I learned that eating vegetables raw is better but that seems dangerous considering all the pesticides nowadays. If you can go organic, that will be marvelous. If not, just wash those greens thoroughly and cook them properly.

Regarding the cost, they are cheap. I buy my stuff in our local talipapa or palengke; that is wet market for us English-speaking bastards. The most expensive things in the bunch are broccoli and celery.  For green veggies, skip the spinach and go for kangkong; forget the kale, which many health gurus on the net often recommend, try malunggay instead.

Good luck to us. If all goes well, the sex in sextenarians will not just mean six but something else. I just hope that as I fell like Robert Downey Jr., I will also rise up like RDJ, even though “Iron Man 3” sucks.

Meanwhile, mother is preparing her Oscar speech.

RELATIVELY CHEAP "SUPER FOODS"

FRUITS
Banana, melon, lemon, papaya, watermelon

Special mention: Avocado
Do not eat too much though and do not mix it with other ingredients like milk or sugar, otherwise you negate the health benefits of the fruit. Eat half of it, and then mash the other half to form a paste and apply on your face. Leave for 15 minutes. Avocado helps make your skin youthfully healthy and clear.

VEGETABLES, ETC.
Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, celery, cucumber, carrots, green and red bell pepper, ginger

Special mention: My Niece’s “Super Veggie Dish”
I sometimes buy Chinese cabbage or petsay, sweet potatoes, carrots, red or green bell pepper, chayote, green beans, and chicken breast. Then my niece either sauté them all or make a soup. One time, I bought malunggay noodles and she came up with a tasty and healthy chicken vegetable lomi.

Special mention: Sweet potatoes (kamote)
This will be your substitute for your regular potatoes. For example, when you cook your chicken nilaga, instead of potatoes, use kamote. Personally, I find orange sweet potato tastier. You may also peel them, wash, slice into small pieces and place them over steaming rice. Once the rice is done, you also get hot tasty sweet potato. Eat as it is or with a side dish of your choice.

OIL
Virgin coconut oil
This is not the one that you use for frying. Buy the kind that you can consume as it is. You can add this to your broiled chicken or just take a tablespoon a day. Recipes abound that use coconut oil as an ingredient. Be creative. You may also put it on your hair and face. It is not only food. It is an organic beauty product. Coconut oil is your cheaper alternative to olive oil.

MEAT
Fish (rich in Omega 3), chicken (without the skin)
Frying them is bad, unless you are using olive oil. Broil or steam.

Drink coffee? How middle class!
Have some tea dear.

(Scene from ITV's Downton Abbey, but 
the line is not from the show)
Rationale for the Use of
Non-free Media, click this
DRINKS
Green tea: It detoxifies, helps alleviate body pain, and it is just good for you overall. Most importantly, it promotes healthy skin, makes you look more British and tea will definitely separate you from those coffee drinking middle class who go to Starbucks on the weekend. As Countess Dowager once asked, “What is a weekend?”

Water with lemon: Instead of your usual water, try putting freshly squeezed lemon juice on a tall glass of water. Like tea, lemons are great cleansing food.

THINGS TO AVOID
Processed foods, white flour and white sugar, anything fried, animals with four legs, coffee

P.S.
If you must drink coffee, like I do sometimes, drink black and be Italian. Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER
The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above. (Hindi nangangahulugan na sang-ayon ang mga ibang manunulat, miyembro ng babasahing ito at aming advertisers sa mga opiniyon ng may akda ng sanaysay na nakasulat sa itaas)

COMMENTS POLICY
Brun Philippines encourages readers to focus solely on the issues when commenting or criticizing. We do not allow foul language and personal attacks on any individuals. You may only comment on a public person’s beliefs and actions. We strictly screen people who will leave comments, and only comments from readers with full names will be posted. Freedom of speech also includes responsibility. We want to weed out the buffoons from the critical and freethinkers. Thanks so much.

(Hinihikayat ng “Teapot” (Tsarera) ang mga mambabasa na tumutok lamang sa mga isyung pinag-uusapan sa pagkomento o pagpuna. Hindi namin pinapayagan ang napakaruming wika at personal na pag-atake sa sinumang indibidwal. Maari lamang punahin ang aksiyon at paniniwala ng isang publikong indibidwal. Istrikto naming sinasala ang mga taong nagkokomento at tanging ang mga komento mula sa mambabasa na ginagamit ang buong pangalan ang aming ipapaskil. Kaakibat din ng kalayaan sa pananalita ang responsibilidad. Gusto naming alisin ang mga luko-luko mula sa kritikal at malayang mag-isip. Maraming salamat po.)

Follow by Email

NEVER AGAIN!

NEVER AGAIN!
Brun Philippines joins the nation in remembering the evils of Martial Law and the fight to bring to justice those who are responsible for the human rights violations and other atrocities committed

WHO DID OUR READERS CHOOSE?

WHO DID OUR READERS CHOOSE?
Click banner above to see full list of winners