Search This Blog

11 August 2024

English Lessons (Vocabulary): Play football, do football or go football? Verbs to Use for Sports and Exercises

Here are the simple rules (with some exceptions).

1. If the sports involve using a ball or hitting something, the verb PLAY is used.

Examples: We play basketball (football, soccer, volleyball, tennis, hockey, etc.)
Except bowling – I bowl (verb). I go bowling. I play bowling.


2. If the sports do not involve using a ball or hitting something and it is not similar to exercises, the verb GO is used or the specific verb for the sport.

Examples:
I go swimming (I swim)
I go hiking (I hike)
I go horse-riding (I ride a horse)

3. If the sports are similar to an exercise like yoga, martial arts, bodybuilding, stretching, and so on, the verb DO is used.

Examples:
She does yoga.
I do martial arts. I do karate.
I do crunches.
I do strength training.

NOTE:
To work out means to exercise. Example: "I work out at the fitness center (fitness club, gym) thrice weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES