Or "Somewhere Out There, I am Having a Great Time" (The Theory of Multiverse and How It Affects You)
First published: May 5, 2013
Somewhere out there, in the vast, expanding universe or multiverse filled with infinite possibilities, “I am having a great time.” This statement may seem preposterous to some, but it makes sense if your mind operates in a different paradigm. Now, before I drown you in highfalutin terms and lose you for good, let me bring you back to Earth.
One of the leading hypotheses in science today is the theory of the multiverse. We do not live in a singular universe that is slowly contracting after the Big Bang. The old idea stated that the universe must be slowing down after the Big Bang because the gravity of different types of matter would pull matter closer to one another. To paraphrase physicist Brian Greene, it is like throwing an apple into the air and expecting it to come down because of the Earth’s gravity. Our universe is contracting. However, scientists have discovered that the universe is actually expanding more rapidly than we previously imagined. It is like throwing the same apple up into the sky, and it hurls out into space instead of coming down to Earth. Scientists postulate that galaxies will eventually be pushed further apart from one another, and vast empty blackness will be created in between. Consequently, future generations will look up at the night sky and see the absence of stars—just black sky. That is, if there is still life on Earth when that happens. [1]
What power pushes galaxies apart? Scientists call it Dark Energy, which constitutes 70 percent of the entire energy in the universe. (F.Y.I., it is the same energy Thor uses to return to Earth in The Avengers. But I digress.) The continued expansion of the universe is called Eternal Inflation.
Scientists have also theorized that our Big Bang is not unique and that it is just one of the countless Big Bangs happening in the multiverse. The theory of the multiverse is supported by the principle of Eternal Inflation, Dark Energy in space, and String Theory in Quantum Physics. I call them “the Big Three.” String Theory is a headache-inducing concept, so we will skip that. Definitely, you need to learn more about the Big Three to fully understand the theory of the multiverse, but don’t worry about that now. You can research these three concepts later.
What this means to us pop-culture-educated people, who are more comfortable with fast-food types of explanations, is that somewhere out there, we have an exact duplicate. They are not spirits or doppelgangers. It is nothing that eerie. Our duplicates are made of flesh and blood, living and making the same choices that we make—or perhaps making different choices.
To put it simply, if I chose Road A, my duplicate in another universe took Road B. If I am miserable now, my duplicate is having a great time. Like what Nicole Kidman’s character in the movie Rabbit Hole said, “This is just the sad version of me.”
The idea that there is another you making opposite choices can be disturbing or reassuring. For me, it is nice to know that if I made a blunder here on Earth One, I am making great successes on Earth Two, and perhaps making no sense at all on Earth Three. After all, the multiverse offers infinite possibilities, and so there may be infinite numbers of me.
It is futile to waste my energy thinking about what my other selves are doing right now. I already have a hard time leaving this island, much less leaving my universe to check on my other selves. So, for now, I think I would like to be the “Happy Version of Rob,” and let the other me on Earth Two lead a miserable life. I never worry about the illogical me on Earth Three; I figure he is ecstatically indifferent. And I do not ever want to be near that repulsive me on Earth Twenty-four; the very idea makes me shudder. To hell with all of them, I’m going to have fun.
LEVEL A2
1. Rapidly (adverb): Very quickly.
From the podcast: However, scientists have discovered that the universe is actually expanding more rapidly than we previously imagined.
Another example: Technology is changing rapidly.
2. Previously (adverb): Before now or before a particular time.
From the podcast: However, scientists have discovered that the universe is actually expanding more rapidly than we previously imagined.
Another example: I previously worked in a small office.
3. Unique (adjective): Being the only one of its kind; different from everything else.
From the podcast: Scientists have also theorized that our Big Bang is not unique and that it is just one of the countless Big Bangs happening in the multiverse.
Another example: Every student has a unique way of learning.
4. Countless (adjective): Too many to count.
From the podcast: Scientists have also theorized that our Big Bang is not unique and that it is just one of the countless Big Bangs happening in the multiverse.
Another example: She has taken countless photos during her trip.
5. Skip (verb): To choose not to do or discuss something.
From the podcast: String Theory is a headache-inducing concept, so we will skip that.
Another example: We decided to skip breakfast because we were late.
LEVEL B1
1. Duplicate (noun): An exact copy of a person or thing.
From the podcast: What this means to us pop-culture-educated people, who are more comfortable with fast-food types of explanations, is that somewhere out there, we have an exact duplicate.
Another example: Please keep a duplicate of this document.
2. Hypotheses (noun, plural): Ideas or explanations that scientists test to find out if they are true.
From the podcast: One of the leading hypotheses in science today is the theory of the multiverse.
Another example: The students discussed several hypotheses before starting the experiment.
3. Contracting (verb, present participle): Becoming smaller in size.
From the podcast: We do not live in a singular universe that is slowly contracting after the Big Bang.
Another example: The company's business has been contracting for several months.
4. Hurls (verb): Throws or sends something with great force.
From the podcast: It is like throwing the same apple up into the sky, and it hurls out into space instead of coming down to Earth.
Another example: The pitcher hurls the ball toward the batter.
5. Theorized (verb): Suggested or developed a scientific explanation based on evidence or observations.
From the podcast: Scientists have also theorized that our Big Bang is not unique and that it is just one of the countless Big Bangs happening in the multiverse.
Another example: Historians have theorized that the castle was built in the twelfth century.
6. To put it simply (expression): Used to introduce a simpler explanation.
From the podcast: To put it simply, if I chose Road A, my duplicate in another universe took Road B.
Another example: To put it simply, eating less sugar is better for your health.
7. Miserable (adjective): Very unhappy.
From the podcast: If I am miserable now, my duplicate is having a great time.
Another example: He felt miserable after failing the driving test.
8. Disturbing (adjective): Making someone feel worried, upset, or uncomfortable.
From the podcast: The idea that there is another you making opposite choices can be disturbing or reassuring.
Another example: The documentary showed some disturbing images.
9. Reassuring (adjective): Making someone feel calmer or less worried.
From the podcast: The idea that there is another you making opposite choices can be disturbing or reassuring.
Another example: Her reassuring words helped me relax before the interview.
10. Blunder (noun): A serious mistake.
From the podcast: For me, it is nice to know that if I made a blunder here on Earth One, I am making great successes on Earth Two, and perhaps making no sense at all on Earth Three.
Another example: Sending the email to the wrong person was a major blunder.
11. Infinite (adjective): Having no end or limit.
From the podcast: After all, the multiverse offers infinite possibilities, and so there may be infinite numbers of me.
Another example: Children often seem to have infinite energy.
12. Selves (noun, plural): Different versions or identities of yourself.
From the podcast: It is futile to waste my energy thinking about what my other selves are doing right now.
Another example: The book encourages people to accept all parts of their selves.
13. Figure (verb): To think or believe something.
From the podcast: I never worry about the illogical me on Earth Three; I figure he is ecstatically indifferent.
Another example: I figure we'll arrive before noon if we leave now.
14. Indifferent (adjective): Not interested in or not caring about something.
From the podcast: I never worry about the illogical me on Earth Three; I figure he is ecstatically indifferent.
Another example: She seemed indifferent to the result of the game.
15. Shudder (verb): To shake slightly because of fear, disgust, or another strong emotion.
From the podcast: And I do not ever want to be near that repulsive me on Earth Twenty-four; the very idea makes me shudder.
Another example: I shudder whenever I think about that scary accident.
B2
1. For good (idiom): Forever; permanently, with no intention of returning or changing.
From the podcast: Now, before I drown you in highfalutin terms and lose you for good, let me bring you back to Earth.
Another example: After twenty years abroad, she returned to her hometown for good.
2. Vast (adjective): Extremely large in size or area.
From the podcast: Somewhere out there, in the vast, expanding universe or multiverse filled with infinite possibilities, “I am having a great time.”
Another example: Australia has vast areas of open land.
3. Paradigm (noun): A particular way of thinking about or understanding something.
From the podcast: This statement may seem preposterous to some, but it makes sense if your mind operates in a different paradigm.
Another example: Online learning has created a new paradigm in education.
4. Drown (verb): To give someone too much information so that they feel overwhelmed.
From the podcast: Now, before I drown you in highfalutin terms and lose you for good, let me bring you back to Earth.
Another example: The trainer did not want to drown the new employees in technical details on their first day.
5. Postulate (verb): To suggest or assume that something is true based on reasoning or evidence.
From the podcast: Scientists postulate that galaxies will eventually be pushed further apart from one another, and vast empty blackness will be created in between.
Another example: Some researchers postulate that a healthy diet can improve memory.
6. Blackness (noun): Complete darkness or the absence of light.
From the podcast: Scientists postulate that galaxies will eventually be pushed further apart from one another, and vast empty blackness will be created in between.
Another example: We could not see anything in the blackness of the tunnel.
7. Consequently (adverb): As a result.
From the podcast: Consequently, future generations will look up at the night sky and see the absence of stars, just black sky.
Another example: He forgot to charge his phone; consequently, he could not call anyone.
8. Constitutes (verb): Forms or makes up something.
From the podcast: What power pushes galaxies apart? Scientists call it Dark Energy, which constitutes 70 percent of the entire energy in the universe.
Another example: Fresh vegetables constitute an important part of a healthy diet.
9. Digress (verb): To leave the main subject for a short time and talk about something else.
From the podcast: (F.Y.I., it is the same energy Thor uses to return to Earth in The Avengers. But I digress.)
Another example: My grandfather often digresses when he tells stories about his childhood.
10. Illogical (adjective): Not reasonable or based on clear thinking.
From the podcast: I never worry about the illogical me on Earth Three; I figure he is ecstatically indifferent.
Another example: It is illogical to expect different results if you never change your habits.
11. Futile (adjective): Having no useful result; pointless.
From the podcast: It is futile to waste my energy thinking about what my other selves are doing right now.
Another example: It is futile to argue with someone who refuses to listen.
C1
1. Preposterous (adjective): Completely unreasonable, absurd, or very difficult to believe.
From the podcast: This statement may seem preposterous to some, but it makes sense if your mind operates in a different paradigm.
Another example: It would be preposterous to expect one person to finish the entire project in a single day.
2. Highfalutin terms (expression): Words or expressions that are too complicated or too formal and are often used to sound intelligent or important.
From the podcast: Now, before I drown you in highfalutin terms and lose you for good, let me bring you back to Earth.
Another example: The speaker avoided highfalutin terms so that everyone could understand the presentation.
3. Bring you back to Earth (idiom): To make someone think more realistically after they have unrealistic ideas or expectations.
From the podcast: Now, before I drown you in highfalutin terms and lose you for good, let me bring you back to Earth.
Another example: Looking at my bank account brought me back to Earth before I booked an expensive holiday.
4. Headache-inducing concept (expression): An idea that is very difficult or mentally tiring to understand.
From the podcast: String Theory is a headache-inducing concept, so we will skip that.
Another example: Learning advanced calculus can be a headache-inducing concept for many students.
5. Pop-culture-educated people (expression): People whose knowledge mainly comes from movies, television, comics, games, social media, or other forms of popular culture rather than formal study.
From the podcast: What this means to us pop-culture-educated people, who are more comfortable with fast-food types of explanations, is that somewhere out there, we have an exact duplicate.
Another example: Many pop-culture-educated people recognize Greek gods because of films and video games.
6. Fast-food types of explanations (expression): Very simple explanations that are easy to understand but do not give many details.
From the podcast: What this means to us pop-culture-educated people, who are more comfortable with fast-food types of explanations, is that somewhere out there, we have an exact duplicate.
Another example: Short videos often provide fast-food types of explanations instead of detailed lessons.
7. Doppelgangers (noun, plural): People who look exactly like someone else.
From the podcast: They are not spirits or doppelgangers.
Another example: The twins looked like doppelgangers, even though they were wearing different clothes.
8. Eerie (adjective): Strange and frightening in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable.
From the podcast: It is nothing that eerie.
Another example: The abandoned house had an eerie silence at night.
9. Ecstatically (adverb): In an extremely happy or excited way.
From the podcast: I never worry about the illogical me on Earth Three; I figure he is ecstatically indifferent.
Another example: The children cheered ecstatically when they heard school was cancelled.
10. Repulsive (adjective): Extremely unpleasant or disgusting.
From the podcast: And I do not ever want to be near that repulsive me on Earth Twenty-four; the very idea makes me shudder.
Another example: The smell of the spoiled food was repulsive.
[1] “The Fabric of the Cosmos” by Brian Greene (Book)
References:

No comments:
Post a Comment
DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.