Search This Blog

15 August 2024

Grammar Lessons (Verb Tenses): Simple Present and Present Continuous

SUMMARY

ENGLISH

FRENCH

Present tense:

I work during weekdays.

Je travaille en semaine.

Present continuous:

I am working (at the moment).

Je travaille en ce moment.

Je suis en train de travailler.


I. SIMPLE PRESENT (examples: eats, plays)
Used when talking about regular routine and current facts.

A. REGULAR ROUTINE: I have oatmeal with fruits and a cup of black coffee every morning.
What do you usually do every day?

(Negative) I do not take the bus to work every day. à What don’t you do regularly?

B. FACT: Many French people love to eat cheese.
(Negative) This company does not have many employees.



II. PRESENT CONTINUOUS [IS/AM/ARE + ING] (Examples= is eating, are playing)
Used when talking about situations or activities happening now (as we speak)
- I am studying with you.
- It is raining.

Negative:
I am not eating now.
Negative: It is not snowing at the moment.
What are you doing at the moment?


SIMPLE PRESENT

PRESENT CONTINUOUS

I send e-mails to our clients every day

I am sending some emails now so I am busy.

TIME MARKERS: Every day, every Tuesday, these days, nowadays, daily, weekly, etc.

TIME MARKERS: Now, right now, at the moment


Exercise (Multiple Choices):
Simple present tense and present continuous (is/am/are + ing)

1. Every Monday, Susan _____ her kids to basketball practice.

A. drives
B. drive
C. is driving
D. are driving

2. Usually, I
[a] work [b] works [c] is working [d] am working as a secretary at ABT, but this summer I [a] studies [b] study [c] is studying [d] am studying French at a language school in Paris. That is why I am in Paris.

3. Shhhhh! Be quiet! John _____
A. sleep
B. sleeps
C. is sleeping
D. are sleeping

4. Don't forget to take your umbrella. It ____
A. rain
B. rains
C. are raining
D. is raining

5. I hate living in Seattle because it always _____
A. rain
B. rains
C. is raining
D. are raining

-Answers are below the picture

- - - -
ANSWERS
(1) A, (2) A, D, (3) C, (4) D, and (5) B.
A


No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES