Search This Blog

15 August 2024

Grammar Lessons (Verb Tenses): Simple Past and Past Continuous


I. PAST SIMPLE
(finished action)
1. What did you do yesterday? [Qu'avez-vous fait hier?] Example: Yesterday, I washed my clothes.

2. What important thing happened in France last week?
[Quel événement important s'est produit en France la semaine dernière?] Example: The government announced a new tax.

II. PAST CONTINUOUS
[was/were +ing] (specific time in the past, in the middle of the action)

1. Specific time in the past
What were you doing around 3 PM yesterday (15:00)? Example: I was attending a meeting around 3 in the afternoon yesterday.

What were you doing this time yesterday?
[Que faisiez-vous hier à cette heure-ci ?] – Example: At this time yesterday, I think I was riding the Metro.

2. Specific event in the past:
Pattern: WHEN + SUBJECT + PAST TENSE VERB (Example: when he arrived)
What were you doing when you received my e-mail a while ago? [Que faisiez-vous lorsque vous avez reçu mon e-mail il y a un moment?] – Example: I was talking to a colleague when I received your email.

- What were you doing when the New York terrorist attack happened in September 11 or 9-11?
- When the attacked happened, I …




PRACTICE
1. I ____ a book when the phone rang.

A. read
B. was reading

2. She ____ her grandparents last weekend.
A. visited
B. was visiting

3. They ____
 soccer when it started to rain.
A. played
B. were playing

4. They ____ a movie after dinner.
A. watched
B. were watching

5. I ____ my homework before going to bed.
A. finished
B. was finishing

6. She ____ dinner while I was setting the table.
A. cooked
B. was cooking

- - -


(1)  B, (2) A, (3) B, (4) A, (5) A, and (6) B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES