Search This Blog

05 September 2024

English Lesson (Speaking and Listening): "Staying in Hotels" (B1-B2 Level)


LESSON: TRAVEL ENGLISH
Topic: “Staying Hotels”
Goal: Practice speaking and vocabulary

1. Do you like staying at hotels? Why/why not?
Français: Aimez-vous séjourner dans des hôtels ? Pourquoi/pourquoi pas ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I like staying at hotels, especially when I am on vacation. I enjoy the convenience of having everything taken care of, like cleaning and meals. Hotels usually have good facilities like a gym, a swimming pool, and room service, which make my stay more comfortable. However, sometimes I miss the personal touch of staying at a friend's house or an Airbnb, where the atmosphere feels more homely.

2. Do you normally stay at hotels for work or for vacation?
Français: Séjournez-vous normalement dans des hôtels pour le travail ou pour les vacances

Sample Answer: I usually stay at hotels for vacation. When I travel for work, my company sometimes arranges different accommodations like serviced apartments or corporate housing, especially for longer stays. However, when I'm on vacation, I prefer hotels because they offer a level of comfort and relaxation that I look for when I'm taking a break. Plus, hotels often have tourist information and services that are useful when exploring a new place.

3. What’s the longest you’ve ever stayed at the same hotel? Why were you there for so few/many nights?
Français: Quel est le plus long séjour que vous ayez jamais fait dans le même hôtel ? Pourquoi y êtes-vous resté si peu/si longtemps ?

Sample Answer: The longest I’ve ever stayed at the same hotel was two weeks. I was on a business trip that involved a series of meetings and training sessions in the same city. It was convenient to stay in the same hotel because it was close to my work location, and I could relax in the evenings without worrying about moving my luggage. The hotel also offered long-stay discounts, which made it more affordable.

4. Some people like to travel with their own pillows. Do you? What is the advantage of having your own pillow?
Français: Certaines personnes aiment voyager avec leurs propres oreillers. Et vous ? Quel est l'avantage d'avoir son propre oreiller ?

Sample Answer: I don’t usually travel with my own pillow, but I can understand why some people do. Having your own pillow can make a big difference in comfort, especially if you have neck or back problems. Hotels sometimes provide pillows that are either too soft or
too firm, and having your own pillow can help you sleep better. It also adds a familiar touch to an unfamiliar place, making it easier to relax and fall asleep.

LISTENING 1: “Hotels and Travels: Advantages and Disadvantages of Staying at Different Accommodations”

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying at a B&B (bed and breakfast), a hotel, a motel, or using Airbnb?
Français: Quels sont les avantages et les inconvénients de séjourner dans un B&B (bed and breakfast), un hôtel, un motel ou d'utiliser Airbnb ?

Vocabulary

a) Homemade – faite maison
b) Hosts – hôtes
c) Lack – (verb) manquer de qqch
d) Amenities – commodités, aménagements, équipements
e) City amenities [Aménagements urbains] = include parks, restaurants, museums, cinemas, theaters, sports centers, subways, etc.

f) Hotel amenities
[Équipements de l'hôtel] = include a swimming pool, spa, lounge area, rooms, elevators, café, etc.

*
False friend: In English, "commodity" is a product. Examples: cars, food, phones, gold, and oil are commodities [marchandises].

g) Motels
h) Home-like – (adj) familial
i) Vary – (verb) varier


(The transcript is placed at the bottom of the page.)


6. What’s the best hotel you’ve ever stayed at? What was good about it?
Français: Quel est le meilleur hôtel dans lequel vous ayez séjourné ? Qu'est-ce qui était bien à propos de cet hôtel ?

Sample Answer: The best hotel I’ve ever stayed at was in Tokyo. It had an amazing view of the city from my room, and the service was excellent. The staff were very polite and helpful, and they made sure all my needs were met. The hotel also had a wonderful spa where I could relax after a long day of sightseeing. The location was perfect, close to public transport and major attractions, which made exploring the city very easy.

7. What’s the worst hotel you’ve ever stayed at? What was bad about it?
Français: Quel est le pire hôtel dans lequel vous ayez séjourné ? Qu'est-ce qui était mauvais à propos de cet hôtel ?

Sample Answer: The worst hotel I ever stayed at was during a road trip. The room was small, and the bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom wasn’t clean, and the towels had stains. The staff was unhelpful when I complained, and there was a lot of noise at night because the hotel was near a busy road. I was supposed to stay for two nights, but I left early and found another place to stay. It was a disappointing experience.

8. How far in advance do you like to plan your holidays?
Français: Combien de temps à l'avance aimez-vous planifier vos vacances ?

Sample Answer: I like to plan my holidays at least three months in advance. This gives me enough time to research my destination, find the best deals on flights and hotels, and make any necessary arrangements, like getting visas or booking tours. Planning in advance also helps me save money because I can take advantage of early booking discounts. However, I try to stay flexible in case something unexpected comes up, so I don't book everything too far in advance.

9. If you use the internet to plan your holidays, do you book your hotel before or after you book your flight?
Français: Si vous utilisez Internet pour planifier vos vacances, réservez-vous votre hôtel avant ou après avoir réservé votre vol

Sample Answer: I usually book my flight first because the prices for flights can change quickly. Once I have confirmed my flight, I will start looking for a hotel. I compare prices on different websites and read reviews to make sure I'm getting the best deal. Sometimes, I book the hotel right after the flight, especially if it's a popular destination and I'm worried about rooms selling out. Other times, I wait a bit to find better offers.

LISTENING 2:
“Hotels and Travels: Selecting a Hotel”

Vocabulary
a) Primary – primaire
b) Reliable – fiable
c) Mindful – attentive
d) Open to + noun – désireux de. Examples: “I am open to suggestion.” [Je suis ouvert aux suggestions.] “I am not open to driving to the Alps.” [Je ne suis pas disposé à me rendre dans les Alpes en voiture.]

e) Accommodations – hébergement
f) Explore – explorer

Question:
What does the speaker look for when selecting a hotel and why?

(The transcript is placed at the bottom of the page.)


10. What do you look for when choosing a hotel (choose the three most important)? Français: Que recherchez-vous lors du choix d'un hôtel (choisissez les trois critères les plus importants) ?

  • You’ve been there before - Vous y avez déjà séjourné
  • Someone’s recommended it to you/you’ve read about it in a guide, etc. - Quelqu'un vous l'a recommandé/vous en avez entendu parler dans un guide, etc.
  • Price - Le prix
  • Comfort, including accessibility - Le confort, y compris l'accessibilité
  • Proximity to airport/station - La proximité de l'aéroport/gare
  • Proximity to city center/nightlife - La proximité du centre-ville/vie nocturne
  • Peacefulness - La tranquillité
  • Gastronomy - La gastronomie
  • Air conditioning (in room) La climatisation (dans la chambre)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Minibar
  • Animals are allowed - Les animaux sont acceptés
  • Other reasons

11. Do you always try to look for hotels belonging to the same chain? If so, why? Français: Essayez-vous toujours de rechercher des hôtels appartenant à la même chaîne ? Si oui, pourquoi ?

Sample Answer: I don’t always look for hotels belonging to the same chain, but I sometimes prefer it. Staying at a hotel chain can be reassuring because you know what to expect in terms of service and quality. There are usually loyalty programs that offer discounts or perks like free breakfast or room upgrades. However, I also like to explore
different hotels, especially boutique ones, because they often have unique designs and offer a more personalized experience.

12. What’s your opinion on buffet-style breakfasts and lunches? In your experience, are they good quality for money?
Français: Quelle est votre opinion sur les petits-déjeuners et déjeuners sous forme de buffet ? Selon votre expérience, sont-ils d'un bon rapport qualité-prix ?

Sample Answer: I generally like buffet-style breakfasts and lunches, especially when I’m staying at a hotel with a good selection of food. It’s convenient because you can choose what you want to eat and try different dishes. In my experience, buffets are usually good value for money, especially if they offer a variety of options like fresh fruit, pastries, and hot dishes. However, the quality can vary depending on the hotel, so I always check reviews before deciding.

13. Do you usually eat out when you’re on holiday or do you try to get back to the hotel in time for meals?
Français: Mangez-vous habituellement à l'extérieur lorsque vous êtes en vacances ou essayez-vous de revenir à l'hôtel à temps pour les repas ?

Sample Answer: When I’m on holiday, I usually like to eat out and try the local cuisine. I think it’s an important part of the travel experience, and I enjoy discovering new dishes and restaurants. However, if the hotel offers a good breakfast or dinner, I might come back for that. It depends on the location and what’s available nearby. If I’m staying in a remote area with few dining options, I’m more likely to eat at the hotel.

14. Have you ever used room service? For a champagne breakfast or for a sandwich in the middle of the night? 
Avez-vous déjà utilisé le service en chambre ? Pour un petit déjeuner au champagne ou un sandwich au milieu de la nuit ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I have used room service a few times. Once, I ordered a sandwich in the middle of the night because I was too tired to go out after a long flight. It was convenient but a bit expensive. Another time, I treated myself to a champagne breakfast for a special occasion. It felt luxurious to have breakfast in bed. I don’t use room service often, but it’s nice to have the option when needed.

15. Have you ever stayed at a hotel where you have to use a shared bathroom down the corridor? Did you know about it in advance, or was it a surprise?
Avez-vous déjà séjourné dans un hôtel où vous deviez utiliser une salle de bain commune au bout du couloir ? Étiez-vous au courant à l'avance ou cela a-t-il été une surprise ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I stayed in a small budget hotel once where the bathroom was shared and located down the corridor. I knew about it in advance, so it wasn’t a surprise. It was a bit inconvenient, especially at night, but the hotel was cheap, so I didn’t mind too much.
However, I prefer having a private bathroom. If I were to book a similar hotel again, I would consider the cost versus the convenience more carefully.

16. Have you ever had to lodge a complaint at a hotel? About your room? About anything else?
Avez-vous déjà dû déposer une plainte dans un hôtel ? À propos de votre chambre ? À propos de quelque chose d'autre ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I had to complain once about the cleanliness of my room. When I arrived, I found that the sheets were not clean, and there was dust on the furniture. I immediately called the reception and asked them to clean the room again. They apologized and took care of it quickly, but it was still a disappointing experience. I also mentioned it when I checked out, and they offered me a discount on my next stay.

17. Have you ever had anything stolen at a hotel?
Vous est-il déjà arrivé de vous faire voler quelque chose dans un hôtel ?

Sample Answer: Fortunately, I’ve never had anything stolen at a hotel. I usually take precautions, like using the hotel safe to store valuables and locking my suitcase when I’m out. I also avoid leaving expensive items in plain sight. However, I’ve heard stories from friends who had things stolen from their rooms. It’s something I’m always cautious about when traveling, especially in busy tourist areas where theft can be more common.

18. Have you ever left anything behind and had to get the hotel to send it on to you?
Avez-vous déjà oublié quelque chose et dû demander à l'hôtel de vous l'envoyer ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I once left my phone charger behind when I checked out of a hotel. I didn’t realize it until I was already at the airport. I called the hotel, and they found it in my room. They were very helpful and arranged to send it to my home address. It took a few days to arrive, but I was glad they found it. Since then, I always double-check the room before leaving to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything.

19. Many hotels now have keycards instead of keys to the room. What are the advantages and disadvantages?
French Translation: De nombreux hôtels ont maintenant des cartes-clés au lieu de clés pour les chambres. Quels sont les avantages et les inconvénients ?

Sample Answer: Keycards are very convenient because they are small and easy to carry. They also offer better security, as they can be deactivated if lost or stolen. However, they can be a bit fragile, and I’ve had issues with them not working properly if they’re kept too close to a phone or magnet. Another disadvantage is that if the card reader malfunctions, you might be locked out of your room until it’s fixed. Overall, I prefer keycards, but they’re not perfect.

20. Have you ever lost a key/keycard and had to ask for a replacement?
Avez-vous déjà perdu une clé/carte-clé et dû demander un remplacement ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I’ve lost a keycard once while staying at a hotel. I was a bit worried because I didn’t want to be charged for it, but when I went to the reception to ask for a replacement, they were very understanding. They quickly issued a new card for me without any extra cost. It was a bit embarrassing, but it wasn’t a big problem. Since then, I’ve been more careful with keycards to avoid losing them again.

21. Have you ever turned up at a hotel and had a problem with double-booking or overbooking?
Vous est-il déjà arrivé d'arriver dans un hôtel et d'avoir un problème de double réservation ou de surbooking ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I once arrived at a hotel and found out that they had double-booked my room. It was very frustrating because I had to wait for them to find another room for me. The hotel was almost full, so I ended up with a smaller room than I had booked. They offered a small discount as an apology, but it was still inconvenient. Since then, I always confirm my booking a day or two before arrival to avoid such issues.

22. What irritates you most about a hotel (in order of bad to worst)?
Qu'est-ce qui vous irrite le plus dans un hôtel (de moins grave à plus grave) ?


Bad service - Mauvais service
Small room - Petite chambre
Comfort (bed, layout, etc.) - Confort (lit, aménagement, etc.)
Lack of cleanliness - Manque de propreté
Noise - Bruit
Parking problems - Problèmes de parking
Food
Other reasons

Sample Answer: The most irritating thing for me in a hotel is the lack of cleanliness. If the room or bathroom is not clean, it makes me uncomfortable, and I can't enjoy my stay. Next would be bad service because I expect the staff to be helpful and polite. Finally, noise is a big problem, especially if I'm trying to sleep. I value peace and quiet, so a noisy environment can ruin my experience. Other issues like small rooms or parking problems are less important to me.

23. Have you ever got lost looking for a hotel or missed a flight and turned up really late at night?
Vous est-il déjà arrivé de vous perdre en cherchant un hôtel ou de rater un vol et d'arriver très tard dans la nuit ?

Sample Answer: Yes, I got lost once trying to find a hotel in a new city. My phone’s GPS wasn’t working well, and I couldn’t find the right street. It took me over an hour to finally get there, and by that time, it was very late at night. I was tired and frustrated, but luckily the hotel reception was still open. I’ve also missed a flight before, which made me arrive at my hotel very late. Both situations were stressful, but I learned to plan better next time.

 

- - - - - - 

Transcript for Listening 1

Staying at a B&B is great for a more personal experience, often with homemade breakfast and local tips from the hosts. However, it may lack the privacy and amenities of a hotel. Hotels are usually more comfortable with services like room service and a gym, but they can be expensive. Motels are cheaper, but they often have fewer services. Airbnb gives you a home-like experience, but the quality can vary, and there may be less support if something goes wrong. (80 words)

Transcript for
Listening 2

When selecting a hotel, the primary factors I consider are comfort, cost, and location. I prioritize a room that offers a high level of comfort, with essentials such as a quality bed, air conditioning, and reliable Wi-Fi. I’m mindful of my budget but I am also open to spending a bit more if it ensures a superior experience. Location is also crucial; I prefer accommodations near the city center or close to public transportation so that I can easily explore the area. (82 words)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES