Search This Blog

16 August 2026

Past Perfect Tense in English: Rules, Uses, Examples and Exercise

Structure: HAD + PAST PARTICIPLE

If you have two completed actions or situations, and you want to show the sequence between them, use the past perfect tense for the action that happened first. [Si vous avez deux actions ou situations terminées dans le passé et que vous souhaitez montrer leur ordre chronologique, utilisez le plus-que-parfait pour l’action qui s’est produite en premier.]

Two completed/finished actions

  • I checked the documents for errors at 9 AM. (past)
  • I sent them to my boss at 10 AM. (past)
  • It is now 11 AM.


So:

I HAD CHECKED the documents for errors before I sent them to my boss. 

OR

I sent the documents to my boss after I HAD CHECKED them for errors.

Sometimes, we can just use the past tense, but this style is informal.

I checked the documents for errors before I sent them to my boss.

OR 

I sent the documents to my boss after I checked them for errors.


USAGE:

A. When discussing steps in the past:

  • First, I peeled the potatoes. D'abord, j'ai épluché les pommes de terre.
  • Second, I boiled them. Ensuite, je les ai fait bouillir.
  • So: I HAD PEELED the potatoes before I boiled them. J'avais épluché les pommes de terre avant de les faire bouillir. (Formal conversation and formal writing)


B. When emphasizing [mettre l'accent]:

A: Did you check the document before you sent it to me?
B: Yes, I did.
A: Why are there still many errors?
B: I had checked it first before I sent it to you.

PRACTICE EXERCISE

Past Simple or Past Perfect?

Instructions: Write the correct form of the verb: past simple or past perfect.
Example:
Before Steven [DO]did his homework, he [STUDY]had studied at the library.

All the actions and situations in these sentences happened in the past.

1.
She [LIVE] in Sweden before she [GO] to Norway. She is now in Denmark.
2.
After we [EAT] the cornflakes, Henry [COME] in.
3.
Before Ken [RUN] to Kerry's house, he [PHONE] him.
4.
Laura [REPAIR] her glasses because her brother [BREAK] them.
5.
By the time the show [BEGIN] , all friends [ARRIVE] .
6.
After they [PACK] their backpack (sac à dos), they [RIDE] away on their bikes.
7.
Gerry [HELP] his grandma in the house because his father [TELL] him so.
8.
The cat [HIDE] under the chair because the children [BE] so loud.
9.
Before the students [START] to write, the teacher [COLLECT] their mobile phones.
10.
After Max [FINISH] his breakfast, he [LEAVE] the flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

Click image to go to the post