Search This Blog

21 May 2024

In Defense of Philippine English


By Rob San Miguel
First written and published: November 10, 2012
Revised: May 21, 2024


Filipinos have utilized English as a secondary language for over a century. While studying at university, I learned that Philippine English is just one variant among many worldwide, though some may dispute this notion. It is not inferior but rather distinctive. Despite variations, all English adheres to a standard grammar, making errors indisputable. Philippine English aligns with Standard English rules as much as American, British, Australian, or Indian English.

Moreover, Philippine English boasts unique vocabulary and expressions absent in other variants. For example, "presidentiable" is exclusively Filipino. Americans say "mugger," while Filipinos say "holdupper." "Blowout" in America refers to a flat tire, but in the Philippines, it means throwing a party. Americans might say "I have the runs," while Filipinos use "I have L.B.M." or loose bowel movement. The Filipino language has enriched English vocabulary with terms like "boondocks," "yo-yo," "manila," and even "cooties."

However, Philippine English faces criticism for its pronunciation and intonation. This is not the case with Australian, British, and Canadian English.  While American and British accents differ significantly, neither is considered superior. Similarly, no one claims Merriam-Webster is inferior to Oxford.


During my university days, I spoke English with a distinct University of the Philippines (U.P.). Just as some students take pride in their Cambridge or Harvard accent, my classmates and I took pride in our Filipinized U.P. accent.  This accent, imbued with Filipino nuances, reflected the internal rhythm of our language. I maintained my Philippine English accent, pronouncing words uniquely and preserving sounds like "t" in words such as "counter." I pronounce “character” differently from how an American or a British person pronounces the same word. I did not drop the “h” in pronouns such as “he, his, him.”  I used to say, “I’ll talk to him,” not “I’ll talk-to[w]im.” I did not often link words together; I let each word fall from my mouth like drum beats. American English is often described as jazzy; my Philippine English was still jazz but infused with tropical drumbeats.

Interestingly, while my British and American peers did not correct my pronunciation, some professors and classmates found it amusing. This reluctance to accept the uniqueness of Philippine English reflects societal pressures rather than linguistic realities. In the Philippines, sounding American, Australian, Canadian, or British is associated with higher status, implying a superior education and upbringing. You are not only educated. You are educated outside the Third World Zone.  You grew up in a family that uses English as the primary language at home, and perhaps, you only hear Filipino from your driver, nanny, or maid.

As an English teacher, I have transitioned to teaching American English to meet my students' expectations. My foreign students want to learn American or British English, not by choice but because they will get better jobs if they have perfect pitch English. One time, one of my students asked for a different teacher because he wanted someone who sounded more American. I whispered to myself in a Blanche Dubois/Viviene Leigh southern accent, “Well, I’ve never been so surprised in my life. It came like a bolt in the blue.” (from “A Streetcar Named Desire” by Tennessee Williams)

Teaching American English has reignited my love for Philippine English, allowing me to compare the two for my students. My students can drop the “t” in “nt” if they want to sound like an American. They do not have to roll their “r” if they want to sound like a British speaker.  They now know the difference between “Harry Potter”/pɑ:tɚ/ and “Harry Potter” /pɒtə/. Understanding these differences fosters respect for both variants. Additionally, I have observed that focusing solely on effective communication rather than accent modification fosters pride in one's accent.

Nobel Prize winner Derek Walcott said, “The English language is nobody's special property. It is the property of the imagination: it is the property of the language itself.”

The uniqueness of Philippine English should be appreciated rather than ridiculed. English, like jazz, thrives on improvisation, and disparaging one variant undermines the richness of the language.



KEY WORDS
"Unlocking the Richness of Philippine English: A Unique Linguistic Journey"
"Embracing the Distinctiveness of Philippine English: A Cultural Perspective"
"Exploring Philippine English: Unveiling its Unique Vocabulary and Pronunciation"
"Philippine English Unveiled: Understanding its Linguistic Diversity and Cultural Significance"
"From University Days to English Teaching: Navigating the Path of Philippine English Appreciation"

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES