Search This Blog

07 July 2024

English Lesson (Speaking): "Talking About Feelings"

LESSON: GENERAL ENGLISH
Topic: “Talking About Feelings”
Vocabulary and speaking. (With French translations)

1. ANGRY

What makes you angry? What angers you? - Qu'est-ce qui vous met en colère?

 

Patterns:

a.    My sister makes me angry.

b.    I become angry when people do not keep their appointments. Je me mets en colère lorsque les gens ne respectent pas leurs rendez-vous.

c.    I do not easily become angry.

d.    It’s personal. It’s a secret.

 

Past Experience: I was angry yesterday because my friend broke my cell phone. - J'étais en colère hier parce que mon ami a cassé mon téléphone portable.

 

2. CONFIDENT    

What are you confident about? - De quoi êtes-vous sûr?

 

Patterns:

a)    I am confident about my ability to manage people.

b)    I am confident about my English-speaking skills.

c)    I am confident that I will finish the project before the deadline. - Je suis sûr de pouvoir terminer le projet avant la date limite.

 

3. INSECURE

What are you insecure about? - Quels sont les points sur lesquels vous n'êtes pas sûr de vous ?

 

Patterns:

a)    I feel/am insecure about my cooking skills. - Je n'ai pas confiance en mes talents de cuisinier.

b)    I feel insecure about my height. - Je n'ai pas confiance en ma taille.

 

*Insecure (condition not a feeling) also means “not locked or well protected” [non verrouillés ou mal protégés]

Examples:

·         One of the building's rear doors was insecure. [L'une des portes arrière du bâtiment n'était pas sécurisée.]

·         The country's borders remain insecure. [Les frontières du pays restent peu sûres.]

 

3. EMBARRASSED /ɪmˈberəst/

Do you easily become embarrassed? - Etes-vous facilement embarrassé?

 

Patterns:

a.    I don’t easily become embarrassed.

b.    I get/become embarrassed when I make a mistake in public.

 

Past Experience: Talk about an embarrassing situation. - Tu parles d'une situation embarrassante.

a.    It is personal. I prefer not to share.

b.    Last week, I felt embarrassed because I tripped. - La semaine dernière, je me suis sentie gênée parce que j'ai trébuché.

 

4. CALM

What calms you down? - Qu'est-ce qui te calme ?

 

Patterns:

a.    My children calm me down.

b.    Listening to music calms me down.

c.    I become calm when I watch a comedy movie.

 

4. BORED /bord/

What bores you? What makes you bored? - Qu'est-ce qui vous ennuie? Qu'est-ce qui vous fait vous ennuyer? 

 

Patterns:

a.    I usually feel bored when I listen to long lectures. - Je m'ennuie généralement lorsque j'écoute de longues conférences.

b.    The meeting is boring, so I feel bored.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you were bored. Parlez de la dernière fois où vous vous êtes ennuyé.  - Last night, I watched a movie and I felt bored.

 

5. FRIGHTENED /ˈfraɪ-tn̩d/ 

What frightens you? - Qu'est-ce qui vous effraie?

 

LEVEL: scared of à frightened of à terrified of à petrified of [pétrifié]

Patterns:

a.    I am frightened of snakes. - J'ai peur des serpents.

b.    I am frightened of my boss. 

c.    I am frightened when I walk alone at night.  

 

6. JEALOUS [often used for relationships, like love]

What makes you jealous? - Qu'est-ce qui te rend jaloux?

 

Patterns:

a.    I don’t easily become jealous.

b.    When my boyfriend/girlfriend talks to another girl/boy, I become jealous.

c.    I am jealous of my brother because my parents gave him a new car.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you became jealous. - Last month, my girlfriend met her ex-boyfriend, so I was really jealous. - Le mois dernier, ma copine a rencontré son ex-petit ami, alors j'étais vraiment jaloux.

 

7. ENVIOUS [envy, verb]

a.    Do you easily become envious? Devenez vous facilement envieux? - I don’t easily become envious. Je ne deviens pas facilement envieux.

 

b.    Who are you envious of? Who do you envy? Qui êtes-vous envieux? Qui enviez-vous? - I am envious of my friend because he has a good job that allows him to travel around the world. J'envie mon ami car il a un bon travail qui lui permet de voyager dans le monde entier.

 

c.    Who do you NOT envy? Qui n'êtes-vous PAS envieux? - I don't envy members of the British Royal family because they do not have freedom even though they are rich and famous. Je n'envie pas les membres de la famille royale britannique car ils n'ont pas la liberté, même s'ils sont riches et célèbres.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you became envious. - Last month, I was envious of my friend because he went to India. Le mois dernier, j'étais envieux de mon ami parce qu'il est allé en Inde.

 

8. ANXIOUS/WORRIED /ˈwɚrid/

What are you anxious about? - Qu'est-ce qui vous rend anxieux?

 

Patterns:

a.    I am anxious about (+ noun) climate change.

b.    When I ride a taxi alone at night, I feel anxious. Quand je prends un taxi seule la nuit, je me sens anxieuse.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you became anxious. - Last Friday, I was anxious because I waited for the result of my doctor’s check-up. Vendredi dernier, j'étais anxieuse car j'attendais le résultat de mon contrôle médical.

 

9. STRESSED /ˈstrɛst/

What stresses you? What makes you stressed? - Qu'est-ce qui vous stresse?

 

Patterns:

a.    I feel stressed when I study English. Je me sens stressé quand j'étudie l'anglais.

b.    I don’t easily become stressed.

c.    I am stressed about (+ noun) my work.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you became stressed. - Last year, I was so stressed because I had so many problems at work and at home.

 

10. RELIEVED /rɪˈliːvd/ = ree-leevd

What makes you feel relieved? Qu'est-ce qui vous soulage?

 

Pattern: Every time my class ends, I feel relieved. Chaque fois que mon cours se termine, je me sens soulagé.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you were relieved

a.    When I finished my project, I felt relieved. - Lorsque j'ai terminé mon projet, je me suis sentie soulagée.

b.    Yesterday, I thought I left my cell phone in the taxi but when I arrived home, my phone was just on my bed. I felt relieved. Hier, je pensais avoir laissé mon téléphone portable dans le taxi, mais quand je suis arrivé chez moi, il était juste sur mon lit. Je me suis sentie soulagée.

 

11. SHOCKED /shoct/

 

Shocked is different from “surprised” and “startled.”

·         Surprised – I was surprised to see him here.

·         Startled effrayer, surprendre, sursauter. – The loud thunder startled me. [Le coup de tonnerre m'a fait sursauter.]

 

a.    Past Experience: Talk about the last time you became shocked. Parlez de la dernière fois où vous avez été choqué. - I was shocked when I saw flying cockroaches in my house. J'ai été choqué quand j'ai vu des cafards volants dans ma maison. Answer:   

 

b.    Have you ever experienced culture shock? Explain. Avez-vous déjà vécu un choc culturel ? Expliquez. - Some Americans are shocked when French people kiss to say "hi," or what they call "faire la bise." Certains Américains sont choqués lorsque les Français s'embrassent pour dire "bonjour", ou ce qu'ils appellent "faire la bise".

 

12. FRUSTRATED /ˈfrʌˌstreɪtəd/ = frus-trei-tid

What frustrates you? Qu'est-ce qui vous frustre?

 

Patterns:

a.    I am frustrated about (+ noun) the lack of progress in my project.

b.    When I cannot remember many words in English, I become frustrated. Lorsque je ne peux pas me souvenir de nombreux mots en anglais, je suis frustré.

 

Past Experience:

Talk about the last time you felt frustrated.

a.    I was frustrated because I did not get the job.

b.    Last month, my repairman promised me that he would come to my house to fix my door, but he never arrived so I felt frustrated. Le mois dernier, mon réparateur m'a promis qu'il viendrait chez moi pour réparer ma porte, mais il n'est jamais arrivé et je me suis sentie frustrée.

 

- -

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES