Search This Blog

12 August 2026

First, Second & Third Conditional: Interactive Grammar Quiz | B1-B2 English


Review
A. POSSIBLE IN THE FUTURE — First Conditional
If my boss ASKS me to go to London, I WILL accept. Si mon patron me demande d'aller à Londres, j'accepterai.
There is a real possibility that my boss will ask me.

B. HYPOTHETICAL OR UNLIKELY — Second Conditional
If my boss ASKED me to go to London, I WOULD accept. Si mon patron me demandait d'aller à Londres, j'accepterais.
I don't expect my boss to ask me, so I am imagining the situation.

C. PAST UNREAL SITUATION — Third Conditional
If my boss HAD ASKED me to go to London, I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED. Si mon patron m'avait demandé d'aller à Londres, j'aurais accepté.
The situation is in the past, and it cannot be changed. He asked someone else, and the offer is over.

Instructions
Read each scenario carefully. Choose the correct conditional sentence (a, b, c, or d) that best matches the situation. Pay attention to the time of the situation and determine whether it is real, possible, hypothetical, or impossible to change. [Lisez attentivement chaque scénario. Choisissez la phrase conditionnelle correcte (a, b, c ou d) qui correspond le mieux à la situation. Faites attention au moment de la situation et déterminez si elle est réelle, possible, hypothétique ou impossible à changer.]

START



First, Second and Third Conditional Quiz

Instructions: Read each scenario carefully. Choose the conditional sentence that best matches the situation.

1. Today is the chess championship [championnat d'échecs]. The two players are Catherine from France and Ivan from Russia. Both are equally good, so anyone can win.
Explanation: The championship is happening today, and Catherine has a real possibility of winning. Therefore, we use the first conditional for a possible future situation.
2. Yesterday was Jean's birthday. Pascale decided to buy a cake for Jean, but when she got to the party, Jean already had a cake.

[Hier, c'était l'anniversaire de Jean. Pascale a décidé d'acheter un gâteau pour Jean, mais quand elle est arrivée à la fête, Jean avait déjà un gâteau.]

Pascale says:

Explanation: The situation happened in the past. Pascale did not know that Jean already had a cake, so she cannot change what happened. We use the third conditional for an unreal or hypothetical past situation.
3. My boss plans to implement a new policy. There is a big possibility that he will consult with all the employees.

I say:

Explanation: The boss is planning to implement the policy, and there is a real possibility that he will consult the employees. We use the first conditional for a possible future situation.
4. Five years ago, Marie went to Japan. She met an American, and they became a couple later.

[Il y a cinq ans, Marie est partie au Japon. Elle a rencontré un Américain et ils sont devenus un couple plus tard.]

Marie says:

Explanation: The trip to Japan happened five years ago, and Marie did meet her future husband there. She is imagining a different past. We use the third conditional to talk about an unreal past situation and its imagined result.
5. My friend invited me to his party so I could meet his new fiancée, but I have to work that evening and cannot go.

I say:

Explanation: I cannot go to the party because I have to work. I am imagining a different present or future situation in which I could go. Therefore, we use the second conditional.
6. Jon is severely allergic to peanuts. He has been offered some food, but he does not know whether it contains peanuts.

Jon says:

Explanation: Jon may eat the food in the future, so becoming seriously ill is a real possibility. We use the first conditional for a possible future situation.
Score: 0 / 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

Click image to go to the post