Search This Blog

05 October 2024

Grammar: "The Article THE"

Usage

1. Using “THE” for Specific Things
We use “THE” when we talk about something specific.

Example:
Mark: I baked a cake. (We use “a” because this is the first mention of “cake.”)

Lisa: That’s great! Where’s the cake? (Now we use “the” because we’re talking about the specific cake Mark baked.)

2. Using “THE” with “Same”
We always use “THE” with “same.”
Example: We have the same color. They live in the same neighborhood.


3. Using “THE” with Nature and Space
We use “THE” with:

A. Natural water bodies: the ocean, the lake, the river.
B. Landforms: the hill, the mountain.
C. Celestial bodies: the moon, the sun.

However,
we only use “THE” when focusing on the action rather than the specific place.

Examples:
I’ll go to the sea.
I’ll visit the Pacific Ocean.

Compare:
I will go to the mountains.
Of course, you are going to a specific mountain but your focus is more on the action "will go."

I will go to Mount Saint Michael.
In this sentence, your focus is going to "Mt. Saint Michael."  You're not just going to any mountain but Mt. Saint Michael to be exact. Therefore, if it is important to name the place, do not use the common noun (the mountain) but use the proper noun (Mt. Saint Michael)

More examples:
Let’s have a picnic by the river.
Let's have a picnic on the banks of Rob River.


4. Using “THE” with Positions
We typically use “THE” with positions like top, middle, bottom, left, and right.

Examples:
It’s at the bottom of the drawer.
It’s in the middle of the park.
She is on the left side.
I’ll place it on the right.

5. Using “THE” with Musical Instruments
We use “THE” with musical instruments when talking about ability.
Example: I play the guitar. I can’t play the flute.

Not about ability: Do you have a guitar at home? I like your flute.

6. Using “THE” with Radio
We use “THE” with “radio” when talking about listening.
Example: I often listen to the radio.

7. Using “THE” for Identification
We use “THE” when identifying an item.
Example: The phone is a great tool. The phone changed communication.

You can also use the plural form without “THE”:
Phones are useful devices.

If defining an item, use “A” or “AN”:
A cat is a popular pet. A table is used to hold things.


8. Using “THE” for Differentiation
We use “THE” when distinguishing between two people with the same name.

Example: He’s not the John Smith I met. His name is John Smith, but he’s not the one I know.

We also use “THE” for famous people.

Example:
A: I met Leonardo DiCaprio.
B: Do you mean the Leonardo DiCaprio, the actor?
A: Yes, the Leonardo DiCaprio from the movies.


9. Using “THE” with Jobs
We use “THE” when identifying someone by their job.

Example:
The actor Tom Hanks will speak at the event.
In spoken English, you might say: Actor Tom Hanks will be here.

But
we don’t usually say this for lesser-known people:
I met the teacher Sarah Johnson. (Correct: I met Sarah Johnson, who is a teacher)


10. Using “THE” with Superlatives
We use “THE” with superlative adjectives.
Example: It is the most exciting game I have ever played.

11. Using “THE” with Seasons
We use “THE” with seasons.
Examples: I love the winter. I will go there in the spring.
You can also leave out “THE”: I will go there in spring.

12. Using “THE” with Times of Day
We use “THE” with morning, afternoon, and evening.
Examples: I have lunch in the afternoon. I exercise in the evening.

But
not when talking about all of the time:
I’ll be here all morning.

Also,
we don’t use “THE” when referring to times in general:
Mornings are quiet. Afternoons with my friends are fun.


13. Using “THE” with Time References
We use “THE” with past, present, and future.

Examples:
In the past, people used typewriters.
More people are traveling in the present.
In the future, we will use more technology.

14. Using “THE” for Institutions
We say “THE” when visiting places like hospitals or schools.

Examples:
I’m going to the hospital to see my brother.
My sister is at the school for a meeting.

If you are staying there, don’t use an article. (This is mostly used in British English)
He is in hospital (he is sick).
She is in school (she is studying).


15. Always Using “THE” with Police
We always say “THE police.”
Examples: The police arrived quickly. I called the police for help.

16. Places with “THE” in Their Names
Some places have “THE” as part of their names.
Examples: The Netherlands. The United Kingdom. The Amazon River. The Vatican.

17. Using “THE” with Famous Structures
We use “THE” with famous buildings and monuments.
Examples: The Statue of Liberty. The Great Pyramid. The Sydney Opera House.

To take the practice test, click this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The other contributing writers and members of this publication and our advertisers do not necessarily share the opinions of the writer of the article above.

Language Levels

Language Levels

TRAVEL VIDEO BLOG

A MOTO TRAVEL SERIES